Our History

Our History

On February 8, 1953, the Tennessee Valley Baptist Church moved to its new location on Highway 317, and the name was changed to Lakeview Baptist Church.  The original Tennessee Valley Baptist Church was organized under an arbor, June 29, 1913, in what is now Temple Lake Park.  The church building was built in 1914, and was a one-room church, which was typical of that day.  Another church, the Cedar Creek Baptist Church, was moved from their location in what is now Temple Lake Park, in 1955, by an order from the United States Government, because of the construction of the lake and dam site.

Cedar Creek Baptist Church merged with Lakeview Baptist Church in 1962.  A third church, the Berea Tabernacle had previously merged with the Cedar Creek Baptist Church, while still in the valley, and eventually moved to Lakeview’s new location, with the merge in 1962.

At this time, three small buildings existed on the property of Lakeview Baptist Church.  The auditorium was the Cedar Creek Church, the rooms in back of the auditorium were the Berea Church, and the fellowship hall was the Tennessee Valley Church.  In the 1960’s, rooms were built to connect these three buildings together.  These small buildings served the people until 1978, when a new church auditorium was built.  Then, on August 12, 1981, Lakeview began building a new education building.

Since that time, Lakeview has continued to grow.  Lakeview built a worship center, converted the old auditorium into a fellowship hall, and then into an adult education wing. A few years later, the new worship center was expanded, and a new office complex and gym were built, with room for future expansion on the second floor, above the office complex.   Lakeview has a rich history, and God has shown His power through all that has happened in Lakeview’s past.  We are excited to see what God has planned for the future of Lakeview, and would love for you to be a part of it.